Thursday, September 27, 2012

autumn edibles and monkey madness

I've had a craving for good apples lately, and was more than delighted when my friend Melissa had some extras from her neighbor she was willing to part with.  Boy, are they good!  Tart, sweet, large...not many spots for a backyard tree.  And perfect for baking...yesterday I froze an apple crisp, 3 dozen apple muffins (recipe here), and apple raisin oven baked oatmeal--one of our morning staples that bake up like breakfast bars.  All made with natural whole grain goodness from my cheap & healthy food co-op that I love.  Here's a shot of the autumn pretties:
 Another harvest shot I discovered...the sprint to the combine:
Cami girl has been working hard at school, and AWANA at church.  We're trying to get into piano lesson rhythm again.  And the other day she told me when she grows up she's going to put a swing in her basement, and she's going to have lots of pets.
 And here's Calvin in his usual mouth-open stance:
 Every day after school, within 1.5 seconds of walking through the door I hear these delightful words, "Mom, what are we having for after school snack?" And the other day he said, "Mom, I wish our house was made of candy AND it was filled up with water balloons." After a thoughtful pause, he added, "Then if we made a mess we wouldn't have to clean it up."   While I'm pretty sure eating is his favorite hobby, he also reads (supposedly with his eyes closed).  And while impressed at his new running shoes, he exclaimed, "Mom--can you even believe they make shoes THIS cool?!"  The boy has a patriotic side to him too...whenever he sees an American flag, he breaks into a spontaneous and genuine recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance, hand over heart. He also has an interesting version of the Star-Spangled Banner, blended with John 3:16.  "Oh say, can you see by the dawn's early light...for whoever believes will not perish but have everlasting life."  I just can't bring myself to correct him.
Jude has been his usual easy-going self lately.  He can now bike at a pretty fast pace.  He loves books, and will sometimes "read" one that he has memorized.  He has also taken off in the drawing/coloring/markering department. 
He also came up with this excuse last night.  "But Mom, I feel like I don't have to brush my teeth."  He apparently thought his no-sleep naptime success would carry over into personal hygiene.
Jada's still been handing out her sweet hugs, and trying to talk more.  "Mee!  Mee!"  Is short for yummy...or milk--or something that means she's hungry.  She also melted her papa's heart the other day by exclaiming his name loud and clear.  Here she is studying Jude's awesome piano skills on our $3 garage sale find.
I caught her eating a day-old cucumber slice that she found in a random drawer, after carefully inspecting it. And she likes to put hats on:
Here's Jada riding her favorite little tractor scooter...along with some of the madness that goes on in our house.  
I really don't allow bats & balls inside the house...when I notice them, at least.


2 comments:

Janna said...

Mmmmm, I'm going to be trying out those apple muffins in the next few days, they look super tasty! And as far as kids anticipating snacks, I have noticed that at night, when we pray and list what we're thankful for food ranks high up there. It would seem an exceptionally tasty meal equals an exceptionally lovely day. ;o)

And I love the last photo with the bat/ball getting ready for business! It's amazing how many outside toys make it in when we're turned the other way! ;o)

Kathryn said...

Your sweet, sweet family......love these glimpses