Thursday, August 18, 2011

noisy boys...and bubble guns a-blazin

While I'm missing my sweet eldest around here, the boys are getting some brotherly bonding in. They've been extra.. *ahem* ..spirited lately. Calvin loves to raucously sing Jingle Bells peppered with an occasional and shockingly loud "HEY!" ...while Jude mimics with his own version: "Tinker-bell, Tinker-bell..." He gets a little too much inspiration from Big Brother in lessons of destruction. The other day Calvin told him several times to dump water in various places all over the carpet, couches, and Jada's little play mat. I'm pretty sure he supplied him with the water too. But it made for a real responsible-sounding tattling session. Other than that, the worst of Jude's antics has been his reckless head-throwing experiments. For the most part he's pretty sweet. Calvin on the other hand...not so much. While he can show some rare sweetness, he mostly loves to antagonize. Yesterday he whole-heartedly exclaimed (with a spoonful of peanut butter), "Hey Mom! This is for you--and I'm eating it!" He also claimed to swallow a quarter a few days ago--which, after some serious questioning and hunting for the missing coin, I'm convinced actually happened). So he's been doing extra chores to earn that back, along with the rain gauge that he broke. This morning they were relatively harmless...wielding their bubble weapons of choice. I think their recent long naps have paid off. (You'd be tired too with that kind of active regimen.) I thought this picture nicely summed up their personalities: My two very different boys. . .both irresistibly lovable in their own unique way.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh my goodness Anna, I laughed aloud! The quarter...Ha! We have the girl version of sing-shouting and tattling over here, it requires a lot of patience and some earplugs. :) Those little boys are such cuties!

Kathryn said...

tra,la, la, la, la, .......this is my life! :) :) I love that you are treasuring these moments even though I'm sure at times it gets a bit wearisome. I often tell myself...."Just laugh".....or else I'd cry!! :) Calvin's face in the last picture matches the bulldog on his shirt! ha!

Janna said...

Oh, you are definitely not alone!! I often ponder how hard this job of raising a boy to a respectable man seems. We've had our share of grumpiness and disobedience and spitting and breaking of things lately--it reminds me to pray more! ;o)